Humor, I believe, is a supernatural gift with awesome side effects. For example, a little jesting will (courtesy of 8 Health Benefits of Laughter):
- Lower blood pressure
- Increase vascular blood flow and oxygenation of the blood
- Give a workout to the diaphragm and abdominal, respiratory, facial, leg, and back muscles
- Reduce certain stress hormones such as cortisol and adrenaline
- Increase the response of tumor- and disease-killing cells such as Gamma-interferon and T-cells
- Defend against respiratory infections–even reducing the frequency of colds–by immunoglobulon in saliva.
- Increase memory and learning; in a study at Johns Hopkins University Medical School, humor during instruction led to increased test scores
- Improve alertness, creativity, and memory
I can always use a bit of number 8. After exposure to some hilarity, an electrical wave zaps the ol’ gray matter, fast as a fat kid flying for the last Twinkie. The left hemisphere analyzes, the right hemi “gets” the joke; the occipital lobe forms a visual; happiness kicks into gear; and on with the smile or laugh (hopefully both).
Who is your favorite comedian? Have a joke to share? Don’t be shy – bring on the laughter!
Ok, this is really old (and naturally, crude), but in high school my best friend and I used to listen to Eddie Murphy’s first (self-titled) album. (And yes, back then it was an album.) I could have quoted that whole cassette tape. I still whip out quotes from the “Talking cars” and “Myths” bits he does.
I’m not sure if it was Eddie Murphy’s first album or not, but I vividly remember an ex-boyfriend loving to watch Eddie Murphy over and over. And over. Eddie Murphy overkill…enough to form a deep loathing in my soul. I like his voice in the Shrek movies, though. 🙂
Hi CJ, Excellent post! I also enjoy lightening the mood and the day with a good joke. I collect them on one of my Toastmaster Pinterest boards–http://pinterest.com/jguidoccio/jokes-for-toastmasters/
I love your toastmaster jokes, Joanne! I’ll have to check out your Pinterest board now…. Thanks for stopping by!